Most of us will get a Urinary Tract Infection at some point in our lives; they’re part and parcel of being human. EmpressBody often get asked their tips to help clear UTIs up quickly and how to prevent them. There are lots of home remedies and theories out there on the internet but a UTI should be treated by listening to your body and using the healing properties that nature provides. EmpressBody is a holistic company that highly recommends seeking alternatives to western medicine which usually treats homogenized symptoms and doesn’t accommodate the perfection and uniqueness of your own body. Trust your intuition and learn as much as you can! EmpressBody has created a full run down of how to recognize a UTI, how to treat it naturally and a few dos and don’ts.
How can I tell it’s a UTI and not Thrush or a yeast infection?
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of your urinary system — your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra. Symptoms include:
- Needing to pee suddenly or more often than usual
- Pain or a burning sensation when peeing
- Smelly pee or pee that seems cloudy
- Seeing blood in your pee
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Feeling lethargic or flu-like
- In older people it can cause confusion or severe agitation
What causes UTIs
UTIs are usually caused by bacteria from fecal matter entering the urinary tract. The bacteria enter through the tube that carries urine out of the body (the urethra). Annoyingly, women have shorter urethra than men and are more likely to get urinary infections like Cystitis as bacteria is more likely to reach the bladder or kidneys and cause infection. Other causes include:
- Ailments that make it difficult to fully empty the bladder, like enlarged prostates in men and constipation
- Ailments that block the urinary tract like kidney stones
- Weakened immune systems, often experienced from sufferers of type 2 diabetes, chemotherapy, and HIV
How can you heal yourself?
Most UTIs will clear up on their own, but there are a few things you can do for yourself to help them clear up quicker.
- A hot water bottle on your lower abdomen, back or thighs
- Drink plenty of fluids, this will help flush the bacteria out faster
- It may be beneficial to avoid sexual intercourse for a few days whilst it clears up, as sex can be uncomfortable and whilst you can’t pass it on to your partner you may cause more bacteria to be spread around making the UTI worse.
- Try and consume cranberry based drinks as cranberries are known to help with UTIs
Here are a few extra tips to help prevent UTIs:
- Always Pee after sex to flush bacteria out
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet
- Drink plenty of fluids to constantly keep bacteria flushed out of your system
- Wear loose cotton underwear
- Take showers instead of baths
- Try not to wear tight jeans and tights for too long
- Try not to douche or use perfumed products on your yoni
- Invest in an organic wash like the EmpressBody yoni wash:
Click here to purchase your organic EmpressBody yoni wash
- Invest in organic sanitary products like EmpressBody’s stocked sanitary towels and tampons
The EmpressBody Supplied Organic Tampons
100% Natural Cotton Tampons. Choose from Regular, Super and Super Plus. No chemicals, no synthetics, no dyes, biodegradable, hypoallergenic and fragrance free. A thin removal string avoids seepage. Expands in width versus length to comfortably conform to your shape and prevent leaks. No plastic applicator.
Click here to read more about the EmpressBody supplied Organic Tampons
The EmpressBody Supplied Organic Sanitary Towels
Pack size: 13
• Top sheet made of natural material. No plastic. 100% compostable
• Absorbent core made of totally chlorine free pulp.
• GM-free corn based film. 100% compostable.
Naty Normal Plus Sanitary Towels combine three environmentally friendly layers that provide superior performance. The top sheet is made of natural and renewable material, contains no plastic and is 100% compostable. The absorbent core is made of totally chlorine free pulp and the GM-free corn based film is 100% compostable. No chlorine, latex free and gentle on your skin.
Click here to read more about the EmpressBody supplied Organic Sanitary Towels
Click here to view the full range of EmpressBody yoni health products
Click here to view the full range of EmpressBody body wellness products